Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Life's Little Lessons


So, about two weeks ago, I was on my way to work when it was snowing lightly. The further down the road I got, the harder it snowed, and the roads became super icy. I was minding my own business, trying not to slide everywhere, staying in my lane, when I felt a bump behind and then my car started spinning. I did two 360's, one to the right and then one to the left when I tried to over-correct. I landed sideways in the oncoming traffic lane... lucky that it was 6:45am and there was no oncoming traffic! I pulled over off the side of the road a little bit shaken up, but mostly bugged that I got hit! The first thing in my mind was "DANGI! I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS!" and then the second thought was "freak! Now the subi won't have a clean title". I waited impatiently for the other person to pull over, and after like five minutes, he finally did. I was still bugged, but when he rolled down his window and I saw he was from India, I instantly felt even more bothered that he "didn't know how to drive, and therefore shouldn't even BE HERE!!"... He was shaken up, and I just wanted to get back to work... I knew the phone was probably ringing of the hook and I really didn't have the time! I asked him what happened and after a few studders, I said "YOU WERE GOING A LITTLE FAST, HUH??" I was so snotty! He wanted to exchange information so we did and after a few words of who was responsible, we were on our way. I called my dad right away and he reminded me we should have called the police so that there would be a clear answer to who was responsible, otherwise the insurance claims could go in circles. I became so defensive, I was ready for a "FIGHT"! As I predicted, when I got to work, the phones were going crazy and I had no time to call anyone, cops, insurance agencies, etc... But finally at 8:30, I got a hold of his insurance company to find that he had already submitted the claim. He called me five minutes later to fully apologize for what happened, taking full responsible. He told me he wanted to make sure I was taken care of and that my car was fixed and everything would turn out ok. He called the police and let them know. There was a city truck parked on the side that he also hit. He didn't want to "hit and run". So, about an hour later, my emotions got the best of my and I felt completely ashamed and humiliated for the way I had acted and reacted towards Reddi (that's his name). I felt so ashamed for my initial thought that he's from India and shouldn't be here. I felt so humiliated for becoming so defensive and ready for the fight! I was so sad that my first initial reaction wasn't concern for our safety!

The dent wasn't even big at all! I ended up crying all day. It was a huge look in the mirror for me and I got to really evaluate where my heart was. I don't ever want to have an ounce prejudism at all ever again! So, I resolved to renew my word with myself, and to apologize and thank Reddi for being so gracious about this situation. I wish him the best now. And I got to drive a sweet Pontiac G5 in the meantime, while my car was being fixed in the shop.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am glad you are okay. Too bad it takes something so serious to help us rethink our attitudes.