I've been feeling especially blue this past week or so. Time to re-align my perspective and start to really recognize all that I'm blessed with.
Right now one of the things I am most grateful for is my Great Grandma that I have been able to have a part of my life for 34 years. She has meant so much to me in and I feel a closeness to her that hasn't diminished over all this time, even though I have been so distant. Many miles have kept us apart but I also have not put forth adequate effort to make sure she really knows how special she is to me. She used to take care of Ryan and I a lot and we would sleep over with her in her little mobile home in Grand Ledge, Michigan. She had a special ability to make me feel so loved, protected, and comfortable. She would throw blankets in the dryer and warm them and wrap us up and set us on the couch all wrapped up with a tea-cup full of marshmallows while she watched Dallas, or Knots Landing, or whatever late night soap-opera she was into and after that she would give us warm milk before bed and I would insist on sleeping with her in her little 7x7 room in her twin size bed.
That little mobile home holds so many memories and so much comfort for me. The owl picture on the wall and the wooden ticking clock. The picture of her and Great Grandpa, her in her blue dress. She hated pictures and especially smiling in pictures, but that picture of her and my Great Grandpa was beautiful. The fake fireplace next to Great Grandpa's chair. Moms toll-painting and hand made cards and pictures from Ryan and I on the fake fireplace. The coffee table full of JC Penney catalogs and old toys we played with, and crayons and coloring books.
Great Grandma sent me letters all the time with a special dollar bill on special occasions. She always told me what her and Great Grandpa had been up to and always told me to be a good girl. This was a special Valentines Day card she sent with a letter and a dollar bill that was un-spent.
I spent some good quality time with her a little over a year ago for Thanksgiving. It was so neat to hear her stories of life when she was younger and stories about the relationships between our ancestors. Seeing all her old pictures she kept safe, pictures of her dating my Great Grandpa, friends and relatives. She shared secrets with me and special things just for me. She gave me some of her favorite old Avon jewelry.
This was my grandma on Thanksgiving November 2009. She made it out to Buddy and Jaime's house for dinner. She had a grand old time. Ate a ton. She didn't stay away from the desert table at all. She loves her family so much. All the children, grand children, great grandchildren, and even Great GREAT grandchildren. She loved visiting with everyone!
Her life has been long, fruitful, successful, full of love, and sturdy through the ages. She is tired and worn down at 95 years old and scared to walk through that next door of life. I feel so selfish in wanting her to stay here so that I can visit her again, and talk to her about things happening in my life, hear her perspective and wisdom, and just hug her. I feel a great sense of thankfulness that she is my Great Grandma.











No comments:
Post a Comment